Camp Scoutawanda at Laurel Hill State Park
All photos on this page from the early 1960's were contributed by Judith Moody Greenfield

 

About Laurel Hill State Park

Laurel Hill State Park was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930's. The 3.935 acre park includes a 63-acre recreational lake, Laurel Hill Lake, that was completed by the CCC in 1938. The Camp Number 5 buildings used by the Girl Scouts were built by the CCC and housed 200 men during construction of the park. The Girl Scouts used Camp Number 5 in the 1960's and 70's. The Charleroi Girl Scouts and Belle Vernon Girl Scouts each used the camp one week.

The CCC was a public work relief program for unemployed men, that focused on natural resource conservation from 1933 to 1942 as part of the New Deal legislation proposed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt. (Civilian Conservation Corps in Wikipedia)

 

Camp Scoutawanda badgeHukilau mascot

 

Bottom Row: Linda Rodgers, Jacki Ellenberger, Deborah Resovich
Middle Row: Deborah Hanning, Barbara Satina
Top: Judith Moody

 

Front Row: Judith Moody, Denise Davis, Barbara Satina, Deborah Resovich, Valerie Wysochanski
Back Row: Jackie Ellenberger, Mary Jo Howard, Deborah Hanning, Linda Rogers

 

Scout leader on the right is Laverne Barthel.

 

 

 

 

 

Dining Hall, kitchen and PX. The extension to the right was the PX where the scouts could by candies and treats.

 

 

 

Third girl from left is Sandy Montgomery. Blonde girl, far right is Sandy Burcin.

 

5top of page